Your final grade is based on total points (~800 maximum):
approximate 900 Maximum Points for Chemistry Course Content via Path 1 or Path 2 and
approximate 100 Maximum Points for Online Midterm (Chap 1-6) and EndTerm (Chap 7-14,16) Exams and
approximate 075 Points for Optional Project/Activities/Paper Essays or Optional Chapters testing.and
approximate 020 points for the 1st Week Explorations. (Some required-some optional) and
approximate 005 points for the Threaded Discussion both required and optional
The content point break down is as follows:
Complete either Pathway #1, Pathway #2, or Pathway #3 for course content (or any of the chapters from any of the pathways as long as 15 required chapters are completed). You select just one pathway to complete a chapter’s activities.:
Pathway #1: 15 Chapter Activities & testing using Mastering Chemistry for ~900 points (Extra Credit for doing Chapters 15 & 17 activities)
(If a student does not complete the required 15 chapters (1-4, 6-7, 9-10, 12-14, 5, 8, 11, 16) no extra credit for the extra credit chapters may be earned). (Testing is done entirely through Mastering Chemistry program and not proctored. Each question in an assignment may have one attempt with immediate feedback for incorrect responses. The entire Chapter activity may not be repeated If you earn credit in a chapter through Path 1, then you do not attempt the chapter in Path 2 or Path 3.
Pathway #2: 15 Chapter Activities using Chapter Power Points; Online Video; Testing on Blackboard for ~900 points (1-4, 6-7, 9-10, 12-14, 5, 8, 11, 16) Extra Credit for doing Chapters 15, & 17 activities) Total Points for Required Chapters may exceed 900, if so any points over 900 will be considered extra credit. (Testing is not proctored) (unlimited attempts; highest score counts, no time limit). . If you miss the deadline for an activity (Chapter) in Path 1, then you may complete that Chapter in Path 2. Path 2 has no assigned deadlines except the last day of the term. It is not only setup as a separate content path, but also for activity makeups for Path 1 (Students may not earn credit for completing the extra credit chapter until they have completed the required 15 chapters)
Pathway #3 17 Chapter Activities totaling 1530 points (all 17 chapter nativities) of which only 1200 count and factored to 900 by dividing the total points earned by 1.35. Any points above 1200 will be extra credit (divided by 1.35) and entered manually into Blackboard's Grade Book the last week of the term. (Testing is not proctored). But each question is worth 2-3 points if done on time.
Project/Paper/Activities: All three Pathway Students will complete any of the 25 Project/Paper/Activities to earn up to 300 Points*. (if more than 75 points are earned through projects, then less points are required for the course content requirements)
*If up to 120 extra points may be earned through additional course content via completing optional chapters 15 & 17,
The student has the choice to select the activities/projects which range from 5 point to 20 points each based on time required to complete the work.
As a rule of thumb, for each one hour spent the activity earns up to 5-8 points; two hours up to 10-16 points, etc.
Threaded Asynchronous Discussions (up to 5 Points). Participation is both required and optional but must be completed prior to the deadlines posted
Required Midterm Exam (~50-60 Points) will not be Proctored Online Summer 2018 Term (May 28-June 4)
Required End-Term Exam (~40-50 Points) will not be Proctored Online Summer 2018 Term (June 20-June 27)
Summary of Projects/Papers/Activities:
Each of the following Activities may take one to four hours to complete. (Point values have changed(increased) for this term-see Blackboard assignments
1. Scientific Method (Chapter 1) (20 points)
2. Measurement via Gasoline Project (Chapters 1&16&17) (Begins Week 1 and ends last week of term) 40 points) (Required)
3. Critical Thinking-Create Personal Thermometer (Chapter 2) (5 points)
4. About Elements & Atoms (Chapter 3) (5 points)
5. About Compounds (Chapter 3)(5 points)
6. About Electron Configuration (Chapter 4)(5-10 points)
7. About Electricity from Nuclear Power Plants (Chapter 5&17) (10 points)
8. Building Molecules on line(Chapter 6) (5-20 points)
9. Water Quality (Chapters 7-8-16) (5 points)
10-11-12-13. Hybrid and Electric Cars (Chapter 11) (Four activities) (5-10 points each)
14. World Without Oil (Chapter 12 & 17))(5 points)
15. Photovoltaic Renewal Energy Source (Electricity)(Chapter 17) 5 points
16. Wind Renewal Energy Source (Electricity)(Chapter 17) 5 points
17. Solar Thermal Renewal Energy Source (Electricity)(Chapter 17) 5 points
18. Diet Analysis (Chapter 13)(5-10 points)
19. A Prescription Drug Analyzed (Chapter 14)(5 points)
20. Toxicology of Commercial Products and Household Chemicals(5 points)
21, Climate Change (Chapter 1, 16, 17) (10-20 points)
22. E.M. Pulse (Chapter 17 section 17.3) (5 Points)
23. Dr Days Cancer Cure Videos (Chapter 14) 5-10 points
24. The Controlled Experiment Demonstration (Chapter 1) 5-10 points (Required or Project #1)
25. Isomer # Problem (Chapter 12) 10-20 points
26....More will be added as the term progresses.
Course Evaluation is optional: 10-20 extra credit points (5-10 Points FSCJ & 5-10 points Rate My Professor). These surveys are anonymou1.
Students must notify via email that they have submitted the
course/instructor evaluation by make a screen print of the popup box
stating the task has been completed. (Do not send a copy of the survey
to your instructor). The FSCJ evaluation window is open to the student
during the last two weeks of the term and may not be completed after a
final grade has been assigned (June 28). Your instructor may not see
your survey until after the final grades have been submitted to the
college (June 30).